Safe Boating Week is this week and sponsored by Boat US Foundation
BoatUS has done a great job promoting visibility about this topic, but frankly it is something we should look at every day! You can’t be too safe.
Our Top 10 Boating Safety Tips
- Always have ship to shore communication, no matter how small your craft is. Carrying just a cell phone is not adequate.
- All crew should know how to secure their life jacket and wear it.
- Be aware of weather conditions and future weather conditions.
- Alert a friend or family member to your travel plans.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Understand and follow navigational markings.
- Have a fire extinguisher and flares on board and know how to use them.
- Have food and water on hand in case you get delayed.
- Have operable lights and flashlights with extra batteries.
- In addition to the ship to shore communications, carry a cell phone.
here are a few reminders and tips on how to safely ignite a flare. Wearing gloves is a good idea too…